New Skin

There was some bank holiday that I had off from work where I asked on Instagram which of four miniatures I should paint up, this was the winner. I was excited to work on it so I challenged myself to finish within 24 hours! Skin can be so difficult for me, she was really good practice using only tan, purple, and white. In the end I think the unnatural shift to purple sells the concept of the mini quite effectively!


Boy oh boy did this bust take me a long time to finish, not so much in hours of painting but in actual months. I wanted to paint the face in a very different way than the sculpt was leading, so once I had essentially achieved that I lost so much motivation to continue. For ages I kept attempting to get back into it but never really did, I just inched a little closed to the finish line each time. The hair was a big challenge for me and I still dread painting black hair a bit unfortunately.


This is the first miniature I can remember painting which has nothing to do with war or violence, and I really like that. It was a great experience which you can read about here, and I’m looking forward to filling the cabinet with more like her.


This model was painted over the course of a Beginner’s Painting Workshop with Roman Lappat. It was my first time building a base on a plinth, and the first time for trying out a whole variety of techniques. She’s no competition piece, but I really like how everything turned out in the end. You can read more about my experience at that workshop here.


This was just painted for fun, not any particular game or competition. I love the sculpt and had a great time practicing my skin tones and NMM style weapons with this model.

Lord of Blights

Like many others, when the one and only Darren Latham created a step by step masterclass free on Youtube I followed along. I did a few things slightly differently just due to the paints I had available but overall I think I got close to what he taught us and I’m so proud of the work I put in to get there. That said, it really was tedious work and I learned that I do not enjoy painting with Darren’s very slow and methodical process. A good lesson to learn!


Rarely do I love a finished project the way I love this one. She captures exactly what I wanted her to, so despite objectively seeing countless things I should have fixed or spent more time on she is my absolute favorite. I think this is also where I discovered the style I enjoy painting the most, it is captured so well here.

Tsukigoro / Momak

I’ve never incorporated so many different kinds of texture on a single model before. The larger scale definitely helped with that by giving me lots of space, I’m growing quite fond of these bigger miniatures. Thinking of ways to do all of that texture was incredible fun, and painting in so many different ways made the process feel a lot less like the three-week-long marathon that it was. That process is documented here if you’re interested!

Robot in Yellow

For this piece my only real plan was to paint a lot of yellow, and it turned into something I’m rather proud of. The strong reflections off of the dark metal were a new thing for me and something I expect I’ll be doing more with in the future. To see the painting process check out this post here.

Ogor Tyrant

I painted up this fellow when he first came out, as part of a local Games Workshop painting competition. We had to pick a model from the Feast of Bones boxed set so I actually bought the entire box for just this model… The variety of textures on the Tyrant made him a pure joy to paint though, and I even ended up winning!

Gotrek Gurnisson

Gotrek was the first model I ever painted with the intention of entering it in a competition. It was just a local GW store painting competition, but we only had a week to buy and then finish our minis and I was proud of what I managed. I placed first even though there were so many things I wished I had the time to do better, which really boosted my confidence.